Home / Human Resources Operations

Leaves Management

The Staff Personnel Manual (SPP) and Academic Affairs Manual (ACD) outline the various kinds of leaves available to staff and faculty, respectively.

For questions regarding Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) process and forms, visit the ASU Leaves Management page and refer to SPP 705-02.

  • Exempt (Salaried) staff only record the leave hours they have used.
  • Non-exempt (Hourly) staff record all hours worked as well as any leave hours used.
  • Faculty and academic professionals on academic-year appointments do accrue sick time but do not accrue vacation time.
  • Records are retained for five years.
  • All medical records must be filed in a separate and secure confidential file to ensure privacy.

FMLA Eligibility

  • The person has been an Arizona University System (Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University, the University of Arizona, or Arizona Board of Regents) employee for at least 12 months in a benefits-eligible position AND
  • Has worked at least 1250 hours in the year immediately prior to the leave date
  • The 12-month waiting period and 1,250 hours worked requirement is waived for tenured/tenure-eligible faculty and probationary/continuing academic professionals

Parental Leave Eligibility

  • Parental Leave is available to all benefits-eligible employees (50 percent FTE or greater), including faculty, academic professionals, administrators, university staff and classified staff members who have worked for ASU for not less than twelve (12) consecutive months in a benefits-eligible position and have worked at least 1250 hours during the previous 12 months.
  • Paid parental leave will coordinate benefits with any group disability income replacement benefit plan (e.g., short-term disability insurance), up to 100 percent of the recipient’s base salary.

ASU Leave (Non-FMLA) Eligibility

  • The person does not meet the qualifications for an FMLA leave OR
  • The person has already exhausted their FMLA entitlement OR
  • The person is requesting an Employee Personal Leave or Employee Military Leave


SPP 708: Parental Leave Benefits
ACD 710: Parental Leave with Pay

Need Help?