Welcome to the W. P. Carey School of Business. Knowing your way around and learning who does what can be challenging as a new employee. That's particularly true here: W. P. Carey is a large school of more than 700 employees who are a part of the largest public university in the country.
Our employees’ contributions reflect the School’s reputation and success. It’s your knowledge, curiosity, and helpful behaviors that are pivotal as part of the W. P. Carey School of Business community where Business is personal.
By now, you have received an email with instructions on what required paperwork is to be completed as a new hire with the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University.
All new benefits-eligible ASU employees must take part in an ASU orientation. Within W. P. Carey, each department and/or unit has its own customized orientation. Work with your business manager and supervisor to ensure you are getting the information you need.
Onboarding is more than showing up on your first day, getting an office key, and being part of a new team — it requires quite a few to-dos, both big and small. Here is some helpful information that continues your engagement in order to create a smooth and beneficial introduction to the school and your department.
- Show office location, phone voice message, computer sign in, desk supplies
- Introduce coworkers and/or assigns a department/unit buddy
- Set up a quick building tour (elevators, emergency exits, bathrooms, break rooms)
- Go over job description/duties
- Give W. P. Carey swag
- Make time to get parking permit
- Set up and review time reporting policies and procedures (per department - TAS/Paper)
- Assign time to take all ASU-required trainings
- Communicate job expectations and any assignments
- Schedule one-to-one meetings
- Have your new employee visit with our Employee Engagement & Services Counselor to help build a broader connection to our WPC culture and engagement opportunities.
- Find out if your new employee has taken a directory photo
- Review About the W. P. Carey School web page
- Read the W. P. Carey Expectations
- Update MyASU
- directory profile including emergency contact (profile tab)
- complete Tax forms - A4 and W4 (payroll tab)
- direct deposit enrollment (payroll tab)
- upload your professional photo (update profile button)
- Take the ASU online tour
- Enhance your entry into our WPC culture - introduce yourself to our Employee Engagement and Services Counselor to discover your new community - where Business is personal®.
- Verify progress of ASU-mandated training
- Communicate required computer system access, e.g. Advantage, PeopleSoft, other systems – refer to the Human Resources & Operations tab
- Revisit the W. P. Carey employees website
- Complete fire safety training
- Complete information security training
- Complete workplace behavior training
- Complete Sun Devil Service training
- Complete Title IX Training
- Complete code of business conduct and ethics training
- Complete sustainability training
- Complete safety awareness training
- Request computer system-specific access from supervisor
- Complete additional job-specific training
- Conduct a three-month performance and feedback review
- Verify all necessary job specific training has been completed
- Continue one-to-one meetings
- Schedule a six-month performance review meeting
- If you haven’t met our Employee Engagement & Services Counselor yet, set up some time and gain a broader connection to our WPC culture and engagement opportunities.
- Touch base on progress and if all resources and necessary information has been provided.
- Continue to ‘check in’ with your supervisor to build your working relationship.
- Complete a short survey from our Employee Engagement & Services Counselor. It’s a great way to get your feedback as you continue to accustom yourself to our WPC culture and community.
- Conduct a six-month performance and feedback review
- Answer any questions
- Online Annual Evaluation completed:
- Touch base to see if there are any additional needs
- Answer any questions
- Self-evaluation completed:
- Ask any questions
- Prepare for performance evaluation discussion
- Ask yourself if you are building a strong working relationship through continuing dialogue. This includes open and candid feedback which begins an understanding of individual skills, knowledge and abilities in reaching job expectations.
- Continue to ‘check in’ with your supervisor to help create a consistent understanding of your job expectations and your working relationship.
- Complete a short survey from our Employee Engagement & Services Counselor. It’s a great way to give feedback and really shows how much you care about our WPC culture and community.