Computer Safety and Security
While the ASU Information Security Office is your hub for current information regarding computer safety and security, here are some standard tips to keep in mind:
- Use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Windows key + L function to lock your computer before leaving it for any length of time.
- When you leave work each evening, log off your computer (it is not necessary to shut down completely unless advised by computer support personnel) and lock up the area before leaving for the evening.
- Keep your passwords safe, strong, and secure, and change them every 180 days.
- Do not share your password or write it down.
- Know who you're dealing with online.
- Use security software that updates automatically.
- Regularly update your operating system and Web browsers, and learn about their security features.
- Encrypt your hard drive.
- Back up important files.
- ACD 125: Computer, Internet and Electronic Communications
- PDP 201–06: Governing Electronic Safety and Security Systems
Your Safety and Security
ASU’s Alert and Advisory system allows ASU to provide and update critical instructions in an efficient and timely manner through text messages, emails, social media, and RSS.
Send ASU Police real-time, anonymous tips that include chat, pictures, audio and video, and have direct access to ASU Police dispatch and 911 emergency services.
The university offers education and multiple resources to ensure that all members of the university are safe and secure.
- Evacuation Plan — ASU requires each department to have an Emergency Evacuation Plan.
- Emergency Response Guide — This guide has been developed to assist in minimizing the negative effects from emergency situations.
Online safety training videos to become familiar with how to react if a dangerous situation occurs on campus.
The university offers a Sexual Misconduct Resource Guide to help increase the awareness of services and information available for reporting an incident of unwanted sexual conduct. If you would like to make this guide available to your area, please complete the request form.
Please visit the Title IX Statement page for additional information.